Pace

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Fri Aug 10 12:29:41 EDT 2001

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Sally Odgers wrote:

|> How many of us had "show, don't tell" drilled into us in writing
|> classes? I've long since taken it as Received Word of God the Editor.
|

|Quite a lot taught in writing class is (usually) wrong. I believe it comes
|from Maybes being taught as Absolutes. Most people like Absolutes. Most
|people don't like Sometimes - or else why would there be so much fuss about
|the "ough" combination in the English language?

they are good guidelines, though.  You have to start with "show,
don't tell" just as you have to start with the five-paragraph
essay.  Then you just have to remember to teach people that they
can certainly break those guidelines, if they understand why they
are doing so and what the effect is.

-deborah
deborah at suberic.net
--
In plain then, what forbids he but to know,
Forbids us good, forbids us to be wise?   -- Paradise Lost