DRH8, hexwood, DS - multiverse vs multiple worlds

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Aug 9 19:37:26 EDT 2001

And Nat said:
> Geographer chiming in here:
> I see the distinction as being between a political entitity ("We vote
> in the Republic of Ireland") and a physical entity ("we landed on
> Ireland's shore"). To the extent that we think of an island whole,
> which generally means smaller islands, we think of people living "on"
> them. To the extent that they are territories with political
> identity, we live "in" the territory. Thus we are more likely to say
> someone is "on" St Kilda than "on" Ireland. On the other hand, we do
> say that people live "on" the continent of Europe.

Nat, I think you have solved a question that we often encounter in New
Zealand. The two main islands are called (imaginatively) the North Island
and the South Island. To NZers the "the" is part of the name, and people
live "in" the North Island or "in" the South Island. Travellers from
overseas often have trouble grasping this concept, and either phrase it as
living "in" or "on"  "North Island" (without the "the") or "on" the South
Island.  But now I understand. Natives of this country regard each island as
a political entity. That's probably why there's a bit of rivalry there.
Regards
Elizabeth.