DRH8, hexwood, DS - multiverse vs multiple worlds

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Aug 9 12:27:33 EDT 2001

>> A related issue, which tends to confuse things, is the use of the
>> preposition "on".  I think DWJ uses "on" a world consistently in DRH8
>
> This "on" discussion (on topic???) reminds me of an author note I saw once
> in a US edition of one of my books. The Aussie edition says that "Sally
> Odgers lives in Tasmania". That's in common use, for Tasmania is a state as
> well as an island. However, the US edition states that "Sally Odgers lives
> on Tasmania".  I have no idea why...

I must admit I would probably say "in Tasmania"

I would also say "in Britain", although Britain is the island, not the country.
Likewise "in Ireland"; I'm equally happy with "in Cyprus" and "on Cyprus".

> And yet, we say "So and so lives on Bruny Island, or on Flinders Island or
> on King Island"... so I assume the difference lies in the fact that
> Tasmania, though an island, is never called "Tasmania Island".

Hmm.  I would definitely say "on the Isle of Wight" (which is a county as well
as an Island).  "On" also goes for quite large Scottish islands that don't
usually have "Isle" or "Island" in their names - "On Arran", "on Skye", "on
Mull", etc.  But they are still quite often called "Isle of Skye" etc.

> Comment, anyone?

Perhaps someone more familiar with the places concerned could comment on:

The Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, etc.)
The Scillies
The Aegean
The Caribbean
Denmark
And, despite my having been there, Indonesia?

(and to bring it back on topic)
Tulfa ("on")
The Holy Isles (can't remember)
Earthsea (definitely "on Gont", iirc)