When DWJ becomes a way of life

Tue Aug 7 19:34:49 EDT 2001

It's 5:30, I haven't defrosted the pork chops, and it looks like it's going
to be another night of scrounging.  But am I running upstairs to start
dinner?  NO!  I'm procrastinating!  And it's relevant!

For the past few days we have had horrible Internet connection issues.  That
in itself is a long story, but the short version is that we've been dropping
connection fifteen to twenty times a day, and it's been awful.  In order to
get the connection running again, one of us has to physically disconnect the
modem from the router and plug it back in again.  Then we have a window of
opportunity that varies depending on the temperament of the Router Gods, in
which we must quickly get our email, send any waiting messages, and other
basic tasks.

This morning was particularly bad, and I was trying to log on to the library
website to extend the due date on some books to match the ones I'd just
checked out.  When Jacob finally shouted that the connection was up, I was
clicking like mad to get everything done, and I said to him, "This is like
that bit in _Archer's Goon_ where the gas comes on and off irregularly and
they have to be ready to leap over and make a pot of tea before it goes out
again."  He told me that this analogy made me a very strange person indeed.

All of you who came up with the same image by the end of the second
paragraph above are just as strange as me.  Like that's any comfort.

Melissa Proffitt