alternate identity (travelling in Europe)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Tue Aug 7 10:50:29 EDT 2001

>>> Bringing things back to topic, I think I've noted before that despite
>>> a good sense of setting, DWJ seems to mostly get away without
>>> actually using preexisting places. Bristol in Fire and Hemlock and in
>>> Deep Secret are exceptions, but a few I really wanted to see, like
>>> the Jamie's city in Homeward Bounders, simply don't exist.
>>
>>I was under the impression that Jamie's city IS a real place. I though it
>>was Birmingham, but I'm not sure.
>
> It's close, but perhaps someone who is familiar with the city could
> confirm it's more of a agglomeration of several Midlands industrial
> cities, Birmingham among them.

I have several times tried to identify it, but failed.  I agree with Nat that it
is several midlands cities, or possibly even a totally fictitious one.

Birmingham was _far_ bigger than this city, even by 1879.  Certainly Birmingham
didn't have "the railway" and "the canal" any more - it had been a major canal
interchange for at least 50 years.  I also think that the local brick in Brum is
red, not yellow.  (This is relevant - the canal arches, made of yellow brick,
would definitely have used local materials)

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970