One more question... (Austen)

shelly at the-seasiders.co.uk shelly at the-seasiders.co.uk
Sun Aug 5 11:44:28 EDT 2001

Paul wrote:
>Jane Austin was an American, so labels like ?Victorian? don't apply.
>I'm pretty sure Jane Austen was Regency, though.

Unless we are talking about two different people, Jane Austen was definitely English. She was born and died in Hampshire - I saw her grave is at Winchester Cathedral yesterday, and she lived for a while in my home city of Southampton. (She didn't think much of it - said it smelt of fish.)

Her dates are 1775 to 1817: she was born whilst George III was reigning and died under the regency of his son George IV, so there's no reason why she shouldn't be described as Regency.

Georgia

Email just got more fun @ another.com
http://another.com