Names again, was re 19th century Literature

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Aug 4 17:00:26 EDT 2001

> Mary Ann wrote:
> >What an awful name Queenie is.
> In one of Elizabeth Goudge?s Heart of the Family books, the children have
> a chameoleon (sorry, can?t spell that) called Queenie.

It is a bit nasty. I think it's often an old fashioned nickname given to
girls called Victoria, or occasionally another queen's name like
Elizabeth. In Peter Dickinson's The Seventh Raven there is a
Queenie who is really Elizabeth. Q.D. however does seem to have
been born Queenie -- named after a relative perhaps?

Ven

magic, if present, can do almost anything

Diana Wynne Jones