19th Century Literature (Montgomery)

Anna Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Sat Aug 4 08:09:03 EDT 2001

Thanks everyone, I'll look out for the Emily books. Blue Castle is another
one I read in Polish and I loved it. Is it a favourite Montgomery? I'm not
sure. I grew up with Anne so I have a deeper attachment to her. She and
Pippi Longstocking are responsible for my dyed red hair and (Pippi) the
penchant for stripey tights/socks worn with big lace-up boots. I've been
rereading Anne recently and in between the melodrama it's a real hoot,
especially the bits with little Davy Keith. I literally roared with laughter
(again)
Ania

My favorite Montgomery book, however, has
> got to be The Blue Castle.  It's incredible.  The heroine in it has a
> realism and a vulnerability that Anne, for all her spunkiness, can't
> match; it's more psychological, more transcendentalist, and, admittedly,
> more melodramatic than anything else I've read by Montgomery (except for
> maybe Kilmeny of the Orchard--that had a bit of melodrama going on, I seem
> to remember).  But the Blue Castle is definately my favorite--about all
> the Anne books, all the story collections, the Story Girl books, and
> everything else I've read--but I've really got to get around to reading
> the Emily books and the Pat books.  Anyone read those?
>
> Lizzie

***

> On Sat, 4 Aug 2001 shelly at the-seasiders.co.uk wrote:
>
> > Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 08:30:47 +0100 (BST)
> > From: shelly at the-seasiders.co.uk
> > To: dwj at suberic.net
> > Subject: Re: 19th Century Literature (Montgomery)

> > >I never even heard of the Emily series. Any good?
> >
> > I prefer the Emily series - Emily of New Moon, Emily Climbs, Emily's
Quest - Emily is slightly less iritatingly whimsical than Anne, and her
friends are a more interesting bunch than Anne's.

> > Rosemary Sutcliff, in Blue Remembered Hills, writes about reading the
first book as a child - "it seems as though I read it all summer long" - and
then finding again as an adult - "I was almost afraid to open it and begin
reading. It was a little like going back to a place where one was happy,
years ago, even meeting an old love. Would the specialness, the magic, still
be there?"

> > She concludes "the magic was still there! ... so now Emily ... lives on
the broad windowsill of my bedroom, along with the The Wind in the Willows
and The Tailor of Gloucester, The Lady's not for Burning, Brian Hooker's
translation of Cyrano de Bergerac and a few more of my nearest and dearest
books. And I still do not really know why it has the right to be there."