19th Century Literature (Montgomery)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Aug 4 06:20:12 EDT 2001

Lizzie:

>I've never read the Emily books--they're on my list, and I've had them out
>of the library a few times, just never quite gotten to them.  I like the
>beginning and end of the Anne books--Anne of Windy Poplars and Anne of the
>Island not so much, but I've read the first two and the last one,
>especially, repeeatedly.  The last one is Rilla of Ingleside, about her
>daughter, set during the first World War, an event in which Montgomery
>herself was very involved (emotionally, and supportingly, that is--she
>wasn't off in the trenches).  My favorite Montgomery book, however, has
>got to be The Blue Castle.  It's incredible.  The heroine in it has a
>realism and a vulnerability that Anne, for all her spunkiness, can't
>match; it's more psychological, more transcendentalist, and, admittedly,
>more melodramatic than anything else I've read by Montgomery (except for
>maybe Kilmeny of the Orchard--that had a bit of melodrama going on, I seem
>to remember).  But the Blue Castle is definately my favorite--about all
>the Anne books, all the story collections, the Story Girl books, and
>everything else I've read--but I've really got to get around to reading
>the Emily books and the Pat books.  Anyone read those?

The Pat books turned my stomach a bit.  The Oirish accent one
character has throughout two books was part of it, and then it was
the last of the series books I read, and the favourite theme was just
*too* familiar by then.  Though maybe I shouldn't spoil either the
Pat or the Emily books for you by summing up the romantic storyline
in half a sentence. :)  And Pat just seemed too drippy for words to
me.

But then I'm not one who prefers the Emily books to the Anne ones
either.  It seems to me that a lot of writers do, and maybe it has
something to do with "the Flash" and theme of artistic inspiration.
There's a teacher who corrects Emily's writing, who's wonderful.
Still don't make my favourites.  The third Emily book gets pretty
grim, IMHO.  And Becca's. :)

Love _The Blue Castle_, couldn't abide Kilmeny!

Hallie.