19th Century Literature (Montgomery)

M Elizabeth Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Sat Aug 4 05:00:16 EDT 2001

I've never read the Emily books--they're on my list, and I've had them out
of the library a few times, just never quite gotten to them.  I like the
beginning and end of the Anne books--Anne of Windy Poplars and Anne of the
Island not so much, but I've read the first two and the last one,
especially, repeeatedly.  The last one is Rilla of Ingleside, about her
daughter, set during the first World War, an event in which Montgomery
herself was very involved (emotionally, and supportingly, that is--she
wasn't off in the trenches).  My favorite Montgomery book, however, has
got to be The Blue Castle.  It's incredible.  The heroine in it has a
realism and a vulnerability that Anne, for all her spunkiness, can't
match; it's more psychological, more transcendentalist, and, admittedly,
more melodramatic than anything else I've read by Montgomery (except for
maybe Kilmeny of the Orchard--that had a bit of melodrama going on, I seem
to remember).  But the Blue Castle is definately my favorite--about all
the Anne books, all the story collections, the Story Girl books, and
everything else I've read--but I've really got to get around to reading
the Emily books and the Pat books.  Anyone read those?

Lizzie