19th Century Literature (Montgomery)

shelly at the-seasiders.co.uk shelly at the-seasiders.co.uk
Sat Aug 4 03:30:47 EDT 2001

Ania wrote:
>> LM Montgomery (both Anna & Emily series)
>
>I never even heard of the Emily series. Any good?

I prefer the Emily series - Emily of New Moon, Emily Climbs, Emily's Quest - Emily is slightly less iritatingly whimsical than Anne, and her friends are a more interesting bunch than Anne's.

Rosemary Sutcliff, in Blue Remembered Hills, writes about reading the first book as a child - "it seems as though I read it all summer long" - and then finding again as an adult - "I was almost afraid to open it and begin reading. It was a little like going back to a place where one was happy, years ago, even meeting an old love. Would the specialness, the magic, still be there?"

She concludes "the magic was still there! ... so now Emily ... lives on the broad windowsill of my bedroom, along with the The Wind in the Willows and The Tailor of Gloucester, The Lady's not for Burning, Brian Hooker's translation of Cyrano de Bergerac and a few more of my nearest and dearest books. And I still do not really know why it has the right to be there."

Georgia

Be passionate about your email
Just click here: http://another.com