19th Century Literature

Tarja Rainio vierran at saunalahti.fi
Fri Aug 3 17:22:27 EDT 2001

on 3.8.2001 15:55, Anna Skarzynska at theania at freeuk.com wrote:

> I was interested to read the comments on XIXth c. lit. and who read/ reads
> it. I note that it's all English language stuff, and it overlaps with the
> novels I read when still in Poland, in translation. I suppose one could say
> that if it's been translated and is well known in non-English speaking
> world, then it's truly a classic.

A good point (though I'm sure some less worthy works have also been
translated...)

> Here's what I had read in Polish, then
> Jane Eyre,
> Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn,
> The Little Princess and The Secret Garden,
> Everything available by Edith Nesbit,
> ditto by Arthur Conan Doyle,
> ditto by LM Montgomery (not stricly Victorian)
> Kidnapped and Catriona

Here are some (what comes to mind right now) authors&books I have read in
Finnish (partly based on Anna's list):
The Bronte sisters: Wuthering Hights and Jane Eyre
Burnett: both of the ones mentioned above plus The Lost Prince
Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes books
LM Montgomery (both Anna & Emily series)
Kidnapped and Treasure Island (or are they the same?)
several books by Jules Verne (could he be counted as belonging to the
period?)
some Dickens
all of Austen
one Trollope book
Kate Chopin: The Awakening

I also have _Quo Vadis_, but haven't read it yet, plus some translations by
Russian authors & several books by turn-of-the-century Finnish writers.

Tarja