19th Century Literature (Polish)

Anna Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Fri Aug 3 12:30:27 EDT 2001

> Ania wrote:
> >There was more I do not recall, and lots of Polish lit nobody ever heard
of,
> >incl. works by Henryk Sienkiewicz (he got Nobel's prize for Quo Vadis,
but
> >his historical novels set in XVII cent. Poland are much better)
>
> Can you recommend any Polish lit that might have been translated?
>
> Georgia (who is in awe of multi-lingual people)

The aforementioned Sienkiewicz has been translated, but I don't know how
well and whether it's available in the UK. I did find some on amazon.com
(the American amazon), my favourite is The Trilogy which comprises 3 sets of
novels and chronicles a) the cossack/Ukrainian rebellion and wars (With Fire
and Sword), b) the Swedish wars (The Deluge) and c) the Turkish wars (Pan
Michael), all set in the XVII cent. They are hopelessly Polish-biased but
they were written when Poland no longer existed (120+ years of official
non-existence, after once upon the time being one of the most powerful
countries in Europe, with territories stretching from the Baltic to the
Black Sea). His purpose was to "strenghten [Polish] hearts", so he took
liberties with history. But they are cracking yarns and much beloved of the
Polish people. One of Amazon's customer reviewers, an American, wrote rather
touchingly "I'll never make a Polish joke again". All the above have been
filmed, directed by Jerzy Hoffman.

Anyway, I can't think of many others, but Bruno Schulz has been translated,
although strictly speaking he was a Polish Jew. He wrote in Polish, though.

Hope this is of some use,
Ania