19th Century Literature

Anna Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Fri Aug 3 08:55:34 EDT 2001

I was interested to read the comments on XIXth c. lit. and who read/ reads
it. I note that it's all English language stuff, and it overlaps with the
novels I read when still in Poland, in translation. I suppose one could say
that if it's been translated and is well known in non-English speaking
world, then it's truly a classic.
Here's what I had read in Polish, then
Jane Eyre,
Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn,
The Little Princess and The Secret Garden,
Everything available by Edith Nesbit,
ditto by Arthur Conan Doyle,
ditto by LM Montgomery (not stricly Victorian)
Kidnapped and Catriona

There was more I do not recall, and lots of Polish lit nobody ever heard of,
incl. works by Henryk Sienkiewicz (he got Nobel's prize for Quo Vadis, but
his historical novels set in XVII cent. Poland are much better)
I loved most of the stuff on the above list and have since reread most of
them in English. They are all very well known in Poland, and much loved.
Ania