DRH8, hexwood, DS - multiverse vs multiple worlds

ferricide ! ferricide at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 2 06:06:24 EDT 2001

> > DRH8 is a multiverse? whatever gives you that idea? i never got that
>
>I don't know, apart from what I said - about worlds being referred to as
>analogues of each other - but I've always thought of it that way, since
>first
>encountering it in Warlock at the Wheel & other stories.

analogues? in DRH8? i don't remember any reference to analogues, and i've
read it plenty of times. if you could pull out a line that made you think of
it as a multiverse, i would be more ready to proceed, since i never got that
impression. =)

>I certainly admit that there are similarities - both have worlds called
>Yurov,
>for example - but they don't give me at all the same feeling of
>world-setting.

well, what do you mean? i think that the world in DRH8 never shows up in
hexwood, but that doesn't mean it can't be in the same world system.

> > i get the impression (not reading her intro, i don't own minor arcana,
>so i
> > can't) that it's more thematic pre-work than implying that it's supposed
> > be another story in the chrestomanci multiverse.
>
>I wasn't meaning to suggest at all that it was in the _same_ multiverse.
>It
>came out of ideas she was working on about "how the worlds all fitted
>together"
>in Lives, which I took to mean that she was experimenting with the idea of
>multiverse with worlds neatly regimented in numbered positions (Sveridge =
>8) in well defined series (Home, Cath are the only two named in DRH8 iirc)

oh, so you are saying that you thought "home 8" is like a numbered world in
a series. i never got that impression, and i don't agree. i think it's just
a naming system stuck to worlds in a star system by the government or what
have you.

>Now if you'd said DRH8 and Deep Secret, it would be another matter.  Quite
>neat little chunk of the Deep Secret multiverse, just a little naywards of
>Earth
>(not too far naywards, or the heg phenomenon wouldn't work)...

i don't think deep secret is a multiverse either, just a series of different
planets. rupert just uses magic to traverse the distances between. right?

[ ferricide - ferricide at hotmail.com ]