dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #334

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed Aug 1 12:49:14 EDT 2001

Rebecca wrote:

> On the conversation of DWJ books and worlds.
>
> I felt that SWM and DS and quite a few others are the same world system.
> The differences that Phillip noted, such as chaotic time differences and a
> tangled view of the multiverse, in my opinion, are causeed because the home
> world in SWM seemed a farther Naywards version of Earth, the UpperRoom and
> Magids, were not as successful at protecting magic, and preventing chaos.
> Also, Phil[l?]ip noted that the Magids wouldn't let Arth continue for so
> long.  I think the Inner Circle were Magids, and it took them that long to
> notice for the reasons mentioned above.
>
> I agree that the stripping, half-mass, thing does not work out between the
> two universes.  So I partially concede,

Well, some of the comments in my reply to Sally apply here too.

I certainly don't think the inner Ring were Magids.  (Mark certainly wasn't a
Magid!  He hadn't had his fate line disentangled from anything, and he badly
needed it...)  For a start, they'd never looked at other worlds before the
spirit trip while Mark was asleep.  To go on with, it took some argument before
they decided actually to go to Arth.  In short, they lacked a lot of multiverse
knowledge that is an inherent part of Magid training (deep secrets and things).

It also struck me as I wrote that, that the void between the worlds, and the
methods they used to travel in SWM, seemed to bear no relationship to the
world-hopping practiced by Magids and others in DS.

Finally (at least I hope it's finally) - another point I've only just noticed -
the problems with analogues of people encountered in SWM don't seem to be of any
concern in DS.

Philip (whose first name contains only one L).

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970