dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #334

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed Aug 1 12:18:10 EDT 2001

>>Hexwood and Dragon Reserve:  I don't think so.  Hexwood is very much a
>>spacefaring universe, while I think DRH8 is a multiverse, although the
>>Slavers seem to be spacefaring.  According to the notes in Minor Arcana,
>>DRH8 was related to preliminary work on Lives; certainly worlds in the
>>"Home" series are referred to as analogues of each other.  She certainly
>>took names from DRH8 for Hexwood, which I think was a pity, since I was
>>hoping for a novel _really_ in the DRH8 universe, and I now think we
>>won't get one :-(
>>

> DRH8 is a multiverse? whatever gives you that idea? i never got that

I don't know, apart from what I said - about worlds being referred to as
analogues of each other - but I've always thought of it that way, since first
encountering it in Warlock at the Wheel & other stories.

> impression whatever -- all they ever talk about are worlds that they're
> posted on for various reasons. the camerati, i mean, coming from other
> worlds. i still think that DRH8 and hexwood are the most likely two to
> actually be in the same universe. =)

I certainly admit that there are similarities - both have worlds called Yurov,
for example - but they don't give me at all the same feeling of world-setting.

> i get the impression (not reading her intro, i don't own minor arcana, so i
> can't) that it's more thematic pre-work than implying that it's supposed to
> be another story in the chrestomanci multiverse.

I wasn't meaning to suggest at all that it was in the _same_ multiverse.  It
came out of ideas she was working on about "how the worlds all fitted together"
in Lives, which I took to mean that she was experimenting with the idea of a
multiverse with worlds neatly regimented in numbered positions (Sveridge = Home
8) in well defined series (Home, Cath are the only two named in DRH8 iirc)

Now if you'd said DRH8 and Deep Secret, it would be another matter.  Quite a
neat little chunk of the Deep Secret multiverse, just a little naywards of Earth
(not too far naywards, or the heg phenomenon wouldn't work)...

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970