Slash

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Apr 27 21:21:45 EDT 2001

Kyla wrote

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, deborah wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Tony Fox wrote:
> > |BTW does anyone understand the slash fanfic phenomenon?
> >
> > <potential homoerotic connotations discussed.  warning if this
> > bothers you>
> >
> > My theory is that fans often want to see fulfilling relationships
> > between strong and interesting characters, and female characters,
> > even in the best movies, are usually lame.
> That's a good reason. I also think that, fans being fans, they're going to
> want to try basically all combinations of people in relationships, and
> therefore some of them are going to be same-sex combinations. It's given a
> category name probably so people know what kind of stuff they're reading.
>
> Also, a friend of mine who reads a lot of slash tells me two interesting
> things. Most slash is written by women (even though most slash is
> male/male)

It's said that women are more turned on by written than pictorial
erotic material. I always thought slash was the female equivalent of
the male fantasy of two girls getting it on, in words instead of
pictures.

Craig charles covered the 1995 worldcon for channel 4 . Apparently
he was quite disconcerted to learn of Red Dwarf slash concerning
his character.

Ven,

If all the good people were clever,
And all clever people were good,
The world would be nicer than ever
We thought that it possibly could.

Dame Elizabeth Wordsworth, Good and Clever 1990