dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #306

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Apr 27 21:13:49 EDT 2001

Date sent:      	Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:10:17 -0400
From:           	owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net (dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones))
To:             	dwj-digest at suberic.net
Subject:        	dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #306
Send reply to:  	dwj at suberic.net

Tarja wrote

> I thought you might be interested in John Grant's (co-author of _The
> Encyclopedia of Fantasy_) interesting and provocative essay on Generic
> Fantasy vs. Real Fantasy which can be found at Infinity Plus
> (www.infinityplus.co.uk). DWJ and _Tough Guide_ are also briefly mentioned
> in it. Here is a direct link to the essay:
>
> http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/iplus/nonfiction/

Thanks Tarja, its a useful site as well as an interesting essay. it
ties in a bit with our discussion on scales since value judgements
are a crucial part of this essay. For those who haven't read it,
Grant's generic fantasy is Dwjs fantasyland and he distinguishes
that from "real fantasy", in his eyes, the dangerous stuff. As Tarja
says interesting and provocative. Grant has little time for generic
fantasy. I found it problematic that I wasn't sure what side I was on.
On the one hand some of my favourite books are set in
fantasyland, on the other there are an awful lot of plastic turkeys
out there. He does have some nice things to say about Dwj.

I looked at a few reviews on this site too. The guy writing about
delany's Nova read a totoally differenbt book, I'm convinced of it.
Ven,

If all the good people were clever,
And all clever people were good,
The world would be nicer than ever
We thought that it possibly could.

Dame Elizabeth Wordsworth, Good and Clever 1990