Slash (was Moderating a busy list etc...)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Apr 27 08:17:09 EDT 2001

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Gross Family wrote:

> I get the idea that Slash is about same-sex relationships, but I'd
> never heard the term before until last week in a different context.
> Is the term only used in relation to fanfiction,

As far as I know.

...a precautionary websearch has uncovered the existence of a fringe
subgenre called RPS -- "real people slash". I'd never heard of it
before today, and I find the thought that it exists somewhat
disquieting.

> and how did it get named Slash? Sounds like such an odd name.

The traditional shorthand for describing who's in a slash fiction is
writing the names of the characters with a slash between, "Kirk/Spock"
being the canonical example.

Hence, slash fiction.

Paul
--