Romantic Characters: Was: Re: OT: _Out of the Ordinary_

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Apr 26 04:24:59 EDT 2001

Laurie:

>Yep.  One of the characters (Icarus) even comments on it.  One of the
>things I liked about both this book and _The Cahngeover_ was the guy
>characters.  Both Sorry Carlisle and Icarus were just really appealing to
>me as romantic characters.  In my Shakespeare II course we ended up having
>a discussion about fictional characters that we'd (if their real
>counterpart happened to turn up) like to try having a relationship with.
>An interesting topic that we got on to because my prof admitted to liking
>Marc Antony from "Antony and Cleopatra."  It's an interesting topic,
>because you never really know what the chracters would act like in our
>world, outside of the situation(s) they inhabit in their books. When I wa
>younger, I always wanted to find the real Joe Willard from the Betsy-Tacy
>books.  Miles Vorkosigan would be interesting, but I don't think I have
>the energy or the guts.

LOL.  Me either to Miles!  When I brought up the Melendy books last,
Cara was just in the middle of a reread.  We were talking about
Oliver, and how sweet he was, and I said that I *really* want to find
Rush.  I'm sure he's out there somewhere, just the right age now, and
wouldn't you have a wonderful set of in-laws?  I think even Mona -
nobody's favourite here - would be a great s-i-l.  It cracked me up
to see your post so soon after discussing this at home!

I'm pretty partial to Tom and Mitt also, but far too chicken to
consider it!  (Anyway, I haven't the right hair for Tom.)
Christopher in _Perilous Gard_ ditto.  Joe Willard's interesting,
though.  Gilbert from the Anne books too.  Although seeing a huge
number of women on a L.M Montgomery site describe themselves as
"married to their own Gilbert" kind of turned my stomach.  :)

I'm wondering if any guys played this game in your class?

Hallie.