Three Weeks Late Administration Trivia

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Apr 24 18:14:43 EDT 2001

Deborah wrote

Ven wrote
> |Anyhow I wanted to say this was the first list I ever subscribed to,
> |its still the best and I take it as the standard for how these things
> |are done. Funnily enough another list, for a band, that I lurk on for
> |the gig info, seems to be going down in flames at the moment.
>
> We are excellent about watching each other's limits and not
> flaming.  On most lists, people respond to any slight by charges
> and counter charges.  I thought that urban fantasy discussion was
> amodel of what should happen when people slightly step over
> other's lines: the participants stepped back, and rephrased their
> positions so as not to inflame.  On other lists, that would have
> led to all badness.

Absolutely. It's also good that other people stand back too, and not
weigh in on one side or the other. The fires on "the other list" have
now gone out, leaving a lot of nasty slag behind, they
were actually started by folk jumping in and being abusive on behalf
of somebody else they thought had been slighted.  may we always
be as nice as we are!

> Aargh.  Moving tuesday, and DWJ all packed.  <sullen>  So I can't
> think of anything on-topic to say.  Except that I'm posting
> meta-data to the list, and that make me think of metafiction, and
> how very prone to metafiction DWJ's books are (Spellcoats and
> Homeward Bounders being the the two most glaring examples.)

Mmm I think I know what metafiction is but could you expand this
please?

> And now, drum roll please, for the number of posts from people
> since 1 January.  Everyone give Gill a round of applause! :)
>
>     100	From: "Gili Bar-Hillel" <abhillel at hotmail.com>
>      88	From: "Hallie O'Donovan" <hallieod at indigo.ie>
>      87	From: Paul Andinach <pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
>      67	From: "Ven" <ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk>

How unsurprised I am to find myself here.

 66	From: "Anna Skarzynska" <theania at freeuk.com>
>      62	From: Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com>

Ven,

If all the good people were clever,
And all clever people were good,
The world would be nicer than ever
We thought that it possibly could.

Dame Elizabeth Wordsworth, Good and Clever 1990