A sinister topic

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Apr 20 21:58:19 EDT 2001

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, McMullin, Elise wrote:

> That makes sense, though. The right side of the brain is, and I will
> say this poorly, where the visual, spatial and imaginative functions
> are housed - and connects to the left side of the body. The left
> side of the brain houses verbal skills and linear reasoning.
> Perhaps a psych or neurology person on the list can say more about
> the studies that have been done in this area.

In our psych lectures, we've been told that the "left brain, verbal
and linear; right brain, spatial and creative" dichotomy is a bit of a
missimplification.

As it was explained to us it's more like this:

The left brain tends to be better at details, fine control, and
sequences of events. This makes it more suited for dealing with
language (for instance, speech production requires event sequencing
and fine motor control), and for linear thought, which consists of
sequences of events. It also suggests a reason why the hand that's
better at fine control tends to be the right hand (which is of course
controlled by the left brain).

The right brain tends to be better at the big picture, pattern
recognition, and so on.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."