Ot pets and surgery, a bit nasty

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Apr 19 21:24:10 EDT 2001

Gili wrote

> One of my cats, Liki, now about 11 years old, acquired a mysterious wound in
> her armpit.

This sounds like soemthing I've seen on vet programmes. Was Liki
wearing a collar when she went missing?  Cats can get their
forelegs caught through their collars. If it isn't removed, as when
they have gone astray, or the mobility restriction stops them
getting home for a while, the collar wears their armpit into a nasty
wound that is very hard to treat. If this was what happened to Liki I
suppose she must have freed herself of the collar before she was
found. Some vets disapprove of collars because of this but others
think collars and tags do  too much good in reuniting lost cats with
their owners.

Incidentally I never had a cat get tangled in its collar until recently.
Vespa and Camberwell, the brother and sister got snarled up within
a month of each other. They share a slightly odd looking
conformation of their forelegs, so I concluded they might be
unusually prone to this kind of accident, and they don't wear collars
anymore. (whatever it is with the forelegs doesn't seem to restrict
them, far from it, so it may be that it was being very flexible that
caused the problem).

I agree with you that soemtimes you just have to leave cats to it.
One of mine gets a weepy eye when he's stressed -- it gets better
quicker if I don't chase him round with eyedrops.

Ven,

If all the good people were clever,
And all clever people were good,
The world would be nicer than ever
We thought that it possibly could.

Dame Elizabeth Wordsworth, Good and Clever 1990