Prometheus

alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca
Thu Apr 19 09:58:14 EDT 2001

Unless my memory fails, here are my two cents on the whole gods/titans
relationship.

The first god was Uranus.  He and Gaia (the earth/earth goddess) had a
great many children.  Amongst these were the Titans--Chronos and company
(I don't remember the names of Company anymore).  At some point the Titans
revolted, and Chronos wounded Uranus with a sickle.  (From Uranus's blood,
which fell into the sea, Aphrodite was born.) Then Chronos and a
handful of the Titans became the rulers of the world.  But before Uranus
had fallen, he had prophesized that Chronos would be deposed by his child,
as his father before him.  So Chronos cleverly decided that he would eat
every one of his children.  Eventually his wife/sister had enough of this.
When her last child was born, he was such a beautiful baby boy that she
couldn't bear to give him to his father for lunch.  So she gave Chronos a
stone wrapped in swaddling clothes instead, and he swallowed it.
Chronos's wife named her son Zeus.  According to the prophecy, he grew up
and overthrew his father.  He also rescued his brothers and sisters from
his father's stomach; and so the whole lot of them--Hades, Poseidon,
Hestia, Demetra, and Hera, now full-grown--joined Zeus in ruling the
world.

So, in a sense, Prometheus belongs to the divine race usurped by the gods
who chained him on his rock.

Alexandra
<phew>