Homeward Bounders.

Liz Ottosson elizabethottosson at cableinet.co.uk
Thu Apr 19 05:20:08 EDT 2001

My contribution below the spoiler.

> I wrote about Prometheus:
> > >Can anyone shed any light on him for me??
>
> and Sallyo kindly replied:
> >
> > He stole fire from the gods (I think he was a god, but fire was a State
> > Secret) and gave it to humankind. For betraying his people (gods) he was
> > chained to the rock with an eagle eating his liver, which renewed
> > every day.
> >
> > That's about all I know, and is the result of childhood
> reading. I see him
> > as the kind of traitor who passes on secrets from a philosophical point
> > rather than for gain.
> >
> > Sallyo.
>
> SPOILER?

> So does that mean They are gods? (Just thinking this through, here..)
>
> Elizabeth.

Prometheus was a titan rather than a god. I'm a bit hazy on this but the
titans were a race born before men were created; I think they were half gods
(demigods?), and were possibly direct descendants of the gods. Result: they
had some supernatural powers like the gods but were somewhere between gods
and men in the extent of their powers. Presumably this is a) why the gods
could punish Prometheus and b) why he never died but was condemned to the
punishment for his immortal life.

Not having read the Homeward Bounders, I'm not sure what effect this has on
your interpretation...

Liz