Power of Three ending (spoilers) (was: RE: Tea)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Apr 18 20:03:17 EDT 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001 Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

> > spoilers for (and confusion about) the end of "power of three"

> > On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, McMullin, Elise wrote:

> > > You know, I think my most absolutely intense dwj moment was in
> > > Power of Three when they are all down in the dorig hall
> > > volunteering to die.

> > That's another one of her books ("Fire and Hemlock" being the
> > other example) where I didn't quite understand the ending. Can
> > someone explain it? I get that Ceri put a thought on Gair; but I'm
> > not sure what it made him do, or why it meant that Gair was all
> > solemn at the end while everyone else was rejoicing.

> The Thought made Gair offer himself as a sacrifice.

Argh! No!! All wrong!!!

   "Gair felt a wave of happiness flood over him. Everyone felt it.
    The hall was suddenly full of people laughing, shaking hands and
    shouting greetings."

   "Gair ... began to wonder why this happiness went on and on so. He
    understood as soon as he looked at Ceri. Ceri's was the only sober
    face in the hall."

Clear now?

(I'm shocked that anybody would think Ceri might make his own brother
be sacrificed.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."