OT: Pets and Surgery--a bit nasty

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Apr 18 17:00:43 EDT 2001

Alexandra:

>Tremendous sympathies :(  Our household feline had to undergo massive
>stitching-up after it had a nightly encounter with something far larger
>and toothier.  It was very sad to watch our poor cat growl to himself with
>pain every time he tried to get up... And as soon as he got better he
>started harping on his stitches--gnawing them gently, pulling them, and
>letting them go with a *twang*. <shudder> What a nasty habit.

Ven:

>When my Camberwell was spayed I was given the usual warning
>not to let her mess about with her stitches. She was fine, I found I
>was fighting MY compulsion to pick at them, to see if they were
>ready to come out............

:)  Thanks, you two.  These stories were very cheering!  Bell is
totally recovered (enough to have managed to steal some of Bec's
Easter choccies and downed them without so much as a hint of
stomachache.  Cast-iron gut, she has.), and our only problem is
keeping her away from the stitches.  Becca and I put The Collar
(Evil!) on her, and survived for all of about half an hour.  Instant,
deep depression.  So we're relying on surveillance instead.

Unfortunately, a friend from church had told Becca about a dog of
hers who'd had a lump removed, chewed himself into an awful wound,
which she finally had to treat by renting a caravan by the sea for
two weeks and keeping him immersed most of the time.  This story
didn't have a happy ending, however, as he died two months later.  So
that was fretting us a bit.

Hallie.