Essential Library for DWJ fans.

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Apr 16 16:25:14 EDT 2001

Anita:

>I'd include it for two reasons:
>Genuine: there's a really big difference between the way that Susan Cooper
>writes her fantasy world and the way DWJ writes. People often recommend them
>in the same breath as suitable beginning fantasy for children, yet they are
>so different.
>
>Personal: Before I'd read either SC or DWJ they'd both been recommended to
>me so many times that I kept mistaking one for the other.

Huh. I'd never heard of either before picking books blind out of the
library, so had no idea they were similarly recommended.

>  Or at least I'd suggest including
>>  the Chronicles of Prydain if you want Welsh.
>Or the Mabinogian
>(I must be one of the few people in the world who don't like the Chronicles
>of Prydain).

I wasn't suggesting these on the basis of liking, actually - just a shared
reason with the Dark is Rising series.  I'm not mad about either.
Becca was MAD for the Prydain books when she was younger, but Cara
never took to them at all.

>  > I'd want to put Joan Aiken's alternate history books in anyway, just
>>  because we love them, but, _Wolves of Willoughby Chase_ IS one of the
>>  books Tom gives Polly in F&H. :)
>>

>All of the books Tom gives Polly need to be put in the library....

:)  Has anybody read all the ones on Sally's list AND all the ones
Tom gives Polly?  I'll confess I haven't read all of either, let
alone both.

Hallie.