Essential Library for DWJ fans.

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Mon Apr 16 15:45:07 EDT 2001

In terms of what I was reading as a younger person that resonated
with Jones, I'd add:
-Penelope Farmer, especially THE SUMMER BIRDS and CHARLOTTE SOMETIMES.
-In an odd way, the first two or three of Walter Farley's BLACK
STALLION series, though as an adult I find the writing hard to get
through.
-Zilpha Snyder's earlier fantasies, especially BLACK AND BLUE MAGIC.
-Philippa Pearce: TOM'S MIDNIGHT GARDEN, which I only discovered as an adult.
-Ray Bradbury.
-Margaret Mahy, especially her Teen/YA books
-GK Chesterton's fantasies, and really a lot of what else Thomas
sends to Polly in FIRE AND HEMLOCK would fit in.
-Tolkien, as much for contrast as anything. She certainly has a lot
of admiration of his writing.
-The first two or three of Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker series
-Pamela Dean's THE SECRET COUNTRY.
-Re Jones' own discussion of the origins of F&H, TS Eliot's "Four
Quartets," and Spenser's FAIRIE QUEEN (I've never been able to get
more than a little way in myself).

There's probably more, but that's all I have for now.