Fanfic (OT?)

M Elizabeth Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Mon Apr 16 14:15:55 EDT 2001

I don't know if it's still there, but at one point there was a DWJ fanfic
based on the Dalemark books at fanfiction.net, if anyone wants to go take
a look.

About fanfiction in general: I think it works better with something that
goes on.  Books, like DWJ ones, are mostly self-contained.  Fanfics work
best with series--be they Star Trek or Harry Potter.  Hexwood, for
example, was written to tell a story, and it did that, and then ended.  It
would be possible to write a fanfic about it, but it's just not the same
as Star Trek, which does of course tells stories, but those stories are
linked because they're about the same characters.  That makes trek much
better for writing fanfics because you're focusing on the characters, not
on a specific story.  The Hexwood universe exists for that one story; the
Harry Potter one exists for those characters, and multiple stories are
possible within it.  Think of the whole Arthurian thing--the story has
been retold hundreds of different ways, and what connects them is the
characters.  And now I'm wanting to go off on how "Stealer of Souls" dealt
with characters who were specific to stories, but I've got class.

more later.

lizzie

ps.  "I've got class" as in I've got to go to school, not the other way
;^).  Just realized that sounded a bit odd. . . .

Taste the wholesome power of vitamin D enriched milk, naughty spawn!

				--Arthur, "The Tick: Heroes of the City"