Fanfic (OT?)

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Mon Apr 16 13:42:05 EDT 2001

In a message dated 4/16/01 8:11:24 AM, neilward at dircon.co.uk writes:

>Fanfic seems to crop up only in relation to certain authors or genres (Star
>
>Trek and The X-Files are also popular subjects).  Has DWJ escaped this
>form
>
>of tribute?

Since fanfic seems to be most prevelant with series characters, the chief
fanfic targets in DWJ's body of work would necessarily be Chrestomancy, Howl
and possibly the Dalemark characters, in about that order of probability.
Dalemark strikes me as a distant third since it follows a collection of
characters rather than having a single protagonist to focus the whole thing.
Much as one tends to come round to admiring Mitt, he doesn't really seem to
have the requisite type of charisma to inspire groupies. (Hm. I suddenly
flashed on an association, there. I suddenly realized that the character who
most reminds me of Mitt in another series is -- absurdly enough -- Ron
Weasley.) Nevis could perhaps inspire them, but he isn't in the foreground
through a long enough segment of the quartet to be a likely candidate.

As for writing fanfic at all; there are different orders of creativity. Not
everyone has the type of imagination to create from scratch. But hand them
some prefab elements and tell them to adapt them, and it's Captian Kirk at
the helm. And, yes, there is genius that expresses itself in exactly that
sort of thing. One that seems to be getting a certain level of sponsorship
professionally over the past few years. I have noticed that there is a
phenomenon called "shared worlds" which has been evident in certain little
corners among fantasy and romance circles in particular, and the occasional
cameo appearance even in mystery fiction.