Essential Library for DWJ fans.

Anita Graham amgraham at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Apr 16 09:29:05 EDT 2001

> Fun question, Sallyo!  Since you want differing opinions, I'd have
> some questions about including the _Dark Is Rising_ series simply on
> the basis of a Welsh background.

I'd include it for two reasons:
Genuine: there's a really big difference between the way that Susan Cooper
writes her fantasy world and the way DWJ writes. People often recommend them
in the same breath as suitable beginning fantasy for children, yet they are
so different.

Personal: Before I'd read either SC or DWJ they'd both been recommended to
me so many times that I kept mistaking one for the other.

 Or at least I'd suggest including
> the Chronicles of Prydain if you want Welsh.
Or the Mabinogian
(I must be one of the few people in the world who don't like the Chronicles
of Prydain).

> I'd want to put Joan Aiken's alternate history books in anyway, just
> because we love them, but, _Wolves of Willoughby Chase_ IS one of the
> books Tom gives Polly in F&H. :)

All of the books Tom gives Polly need to be put in the library....