Essential Library for DWJ fans.

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Apr 16 06:17:11 EDT 2001

>I have begun to compile the "essential library" for DWJ fans - that is,
>apart from the books by DWJ herself. Each other book has to earn its place
>by some knd of tie-in or rationale.
>
>Tam Lin by Pamela Dean (because it's another version of the story that
>embraces Fire and Hemlock.)
>
>The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope (ditto)
>
>The Discontinuity Guide by Paul Cornell, Martin Day and Keith Topping
>(because it sits well alongside The Tough Guide and also because some Dr Who
>stories feature "puppet master" characters that match up well with The
>Homeward Bounders.)
>
>The Puppet Masters by Robert Heinlein (ditto)
>
>Job by Robert Heinlein (alternative universes, as in the Chrestomanci
>books.)
>
>My own book "Wolfmaster" because I managed to work in the Cryptic Name ... I
>have characters called Richard WYNNE, his sister DIANA and a closet magician
>called Ms JONES.
>
>Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising sequence, (because of the Welsh background.)
>
>Old copies of Treasure magazine, (because of the Norse stories in "Tales
>from Many Lands",  which fit in well with Eight Days of Luke.)
>
>The Sterkarm Handshake, by Susan Price, (because it's alternative
>universe)... not essential maybe, but interesting.
>

>Right - who votes for or against these, and who can add, and support,
>others?

Fun question, Sallyo!  Since you want differing opinions, I'd have
some questions about including the _Dark Is Rising_ series simply on
the basis of a Welsh background.  Or at least I'd suggest including
the Chronicles of Prydain if you want Welsh.

McKillip's _Winter Rose_ is a different take on the Tam Lin story,
which might win a place.

I'd want to put Joan Aiken's alternate history books in anyway, just
because we love them, but, _Wolves of Willoughby Chase_ IS one of the
books Tom gives Polly in F&H. :)

Wouldn't consider it essential in any way, but just read Neil
Gaiman's _Stardust_, and it's fascinating how completely different it
is from Howl, while quoting the same poem by Donne, having May Day
festivities, a fallen star, and chapters which have the "In Which..."
headings.

Hallie.