Essential Library for DWJ fans.

Gross Family argross at bigpond.net.au
Sun Apr 15 22:51:34 EDT 2001

Sallyo writes:

> I have begun to compile the "essential library" for DWJ fans - that is,
> apart from the books by DWJ herself. Each other book has to earn its place
> by some knd of tie-in or rationale.
>
> Tam Lin by Pamela Dean (because it's another version of the story that
> embraces Fire and Hemlock.)
>
> The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope (ditto)
>
> The Discontinuity Guide by Paul Cornell, Martin Day and Keith Topping
> (because it sits well alongside The Tough Guide and also because some Dr
Who
> stories feature "puppet master" characters that match up well with The
> Homeward Bounders.)
>
> The Puppet Masters by Robert Heinlein (ditto)
>
> Job by Robert Heinlein (alternative universes, as in the Chrestomanci
> books.)
>
> My own book "Wolfmaster" because I managed to work in the Cryptic Name ...
> have characters called Richard WYNNE, his sister DIANA and a closet
magician
> called Ms JONES.
>
> Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising sequence, (because of the Welsh background.)
>
> Old copies of Treasure magazine, (because of the Norse stories in "Tales
> from Many Lands",  which fit in well with Eight Days of Luke.)
>
> The Sterkarm Handshake, by Susan Price, (because it's alternative
> universe)... not essential maybe, but interesting.
>

> Right - who votes for or against these, and who can add, and support,
> others?

The only ones I have read among these are _Tam Lin_ by Pamela Dean and _The
Dark is Rising_ books by Susan Cooper, and I agree with the inclusion of
both.

I suggest _Thomas the Rhymer_ by Ellen Kushner, as the Tam Lin ballad seems
to be connected to Thomas the Rhymer--at least, I thought DWJ used both in
Tam Lin, or am I wrong about this?

Ros