Essential Library for DWJ fans.

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Sun Apr 15 21:39:40 EDT 2001

I have begun to compile the "essential library" for DWJ fans - that is,
apart from the books by DWJ herself. Each other book has to earn its place
by some knd of tie-in or rationale.

Tam Lin by Pamela Dean (because it's another version of the story that
embraces Fire and Hemlock.)

The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope (ditto)

The Discontinuity Guide by Paul Cornell, Martin Day and Keith Topping
(because it sits well alongside The Tough Guide and also because some Dr Who
stories feature "puppet master" characters that match up well with The
Homeward Bounders.)

The Puppet Masters by Robert Heinlein (ditto)

Job by Robert Heinlein (alternative universes, as in the Chrestomanci
books.)

My own book "Wolfmaster" because I managed to work in the Cryptic Name ... I
have characters called Richard WYNNE, his sister DIANA and a closet magician
called Ms JONES.

Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising sequence, (because of the Welsh background.)

Old copies of Treasure magazine, (because of the Norse stories in "Tales
from Many Lands",  which fit in well with Eight Days of Luke.)

The Sterkarm Handshake, by Susan Price, (because it's alternative
universe)... not essential maybe, but interesting.

Right - who votes for or against these, and who can add, and support,
others?

Sallyo.