replies form Diana

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Apr 15 10:22:06 EDT 2001

Hallie said

> I'm still startled at Ven and Melissa describing Tanya Huff's book(s)
> as light weight.  Not that there was any expectation that DWJ would
> only be reading extremely heavy, ponderous stuff, but "light" still
> took me aback, for some reason.  Maybe partly the connection with the
> other two authors, whom I would describe as wildly entertaining, but
> not just light weight.  Obviously for Bujold, but even for Wrede.
> Maybe neither of you agree on that?

Oops. I actually tried to think of a better description than "light
weight", I didn't intend anything disparaging but that implication is
sort of there. To clarify: if I'm thinking of a scale from 1 to 10 I'd put
Ulysses at 10 and Mills and Boon at 1. Tolstoy and Dickens at 8,
along with Samuel R Delany, Dwj at 6 or 7, along with Bujold and
Pratchett. 5 is average and thus I'd place Huff and Wrede at 4. I'm
working out the placings according to how much stretching my
mind has to do, I never finished Ulysses and I guess I find 1s and
probably 2s not worth bothering with. However as I haven't read any
Huff more than once so far, her placing is provisional and the whole
thing is just straight off the top of my head anyway and IMHO, and
independent of literary merit anyway..

Suspecting I'll return to this topic .......................

Ven,

If all the good people were clever,
And all clever people were good,
The world would be nicer than ever
We thought that it possibly could.

Dame Elizabeth Wordsworth, Good and Clever 1990