answers from Diana

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Sat Apr 14 12:18:39 EDT 2001

In a message dated 4/14/01 7:30:29 AM, hallieod at indigo.ie writes:

>Me too!  Although, come to think of it, I hadn't read all *that* much
>fantasy then anyway.  When did all the High Fantasy stuff, (TG style,
>obviously, not LotR) really start being popular?

Early '70s, also known as the "Age of the Tolklones". The Ballantine pb
editions of Lord of the Rings came out and became popular in the '60s. It was
most of us's first exposure to epic fantasy (apart from Arthurian retreads),
and we found that we liked it. Before you knew it it was monkey-see,
monkey-do. And the publishers, thinking they saw a gold mine, probably
brought out a lot that they should have deep-sixed.