Hexwood: the name 'Hume' (spoilers)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Apr 14 09:00:51 EDT 2001

Mary Ann:

>It's not that surprising that Hume would come up in a book on Romantic Poetry,
>though. Or in many other humanities-oriented anglophone classes. Not only
>has it been fashionable for at least a couple of decades to set things in
>the philosophical context of their period, but David Hume wrote in what
>would now be called a large number of periods. He also wrote with enormous
>grace and charm.

I didn't actually mean that quite the way it sounded.  Rather I meant
that _this_ section of _our_ course was not that likely to mention
Hume.  Because it gives an historical context, but not of the period
before that we're studying.  (Sorry.  I might have managed to explain
that better if not for a night on the sofa trying to stop the dog
from biting out her stitches.)

Inspired by Neil and Mary Ann, I found this on Hume.  (It's only from
the World Book, so it's VERY basic, but still.)  Along with the idea
of causality that Neil mentioned, Hume also challenged the idea of
self.

"The idea of the self is the idea of something in a person that
remains identical through time.  I have the idea that I remain the
same person despite the changes that occur in me.  But, since I
cannot locate in myself an element that is always present and never
changes, the idea of such a self has no basis in experience."

My brin is too foggy to be sure this is potentially interesting, but
it seemed to be on a first encounter.  Again, it certainly fits in
with the struggles characters have to determine who they are.
Although,  _Hexwood_ might not ultimately present an agreement with
this?  No, I'm not even sure what I mean by this, just have a feeling
around a possibility that there is a way in which Mordion and
Vierrann DO manage to find an element which is always present.

Hallie.