A Sinister Subject

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 13 17:05:34 EDT 2001

Bettina wrote:

>It happens, e.g., that of identical twins one
>is lefthanded and the other not, which is something of a blow to the
>genetical
>explication...

(still catching up here)

I've also read that it happens occasionally that identical twins are
complete mirror images of each other, including one of the twins having
his/her heart on the right instead of left side, and including hair whorls
going in opposite directions. One of the theories about why there is such a
high occurence of left handedness among one of two identical twins has to do
with how the egg split to create them.

I was so fascinated by this information when my mother first told me about
it, when I was about 12, that I made her track down the source for me, and I
have an actual photocopy of a draft of an academic paper called "Twinning: a
link between handedness, behaviour, and autoimmunity". Heaven knows why I
kept it for so many years! Perhaps because I was so thrilled to be handling
university-level material... There's a specific line on the cover page
asking not to cite or circulate the paper as it is just a draft, but it was
written by Louise Carter, a Ph.D. at the University of Washington, and
presented at a conference my mother attended somewhere in the 80's.