answers from Diana

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Apr 12 14:10:31 EDT 2001

Anyone else struck by the answer to the question relating to what DWJ
herself was reading?  "Pat Wrede, Lois McMaster Bujold and Tanya
Huff".  I hadn't heard anything about Tanya Huff before, so it was
fun to get a new rec.

I was going to ask y'all about Wrede's Lyra books.  They seem pretty
unavailable, except for one later one, and I was wondering about the
importance of reading them in order.  Then _Shadow Magic_ turned up
in the local.  It's pretty early ('82), and what a difference from
her later books!  Tough Guidisms aplenty.  The N'ames, the Bard, the
Stew.  But of course, being right in the middle of one of our food
threads, what really bothered me was a picnic provided by these
non-human forest dwellers, including cheese.  The dark bread and
freshly gathered honey seemed fine, but *cheese*?  Just seemed out of
place somehow, not only because there was no hint of any
milk-producing animals anywhere.

So anybody else read all of Tanya Huff already?  Or (like me) ordered
_Sing the Four Quarters_?  Or like Wrede's Lyra books better than the
Dragons books?

Hallie (taking care of a very drugged dog who just got spayed today,
and is pretty miserable.  At least Sirius/Leo never had to undergo
*that*!)