The things that go on in my homeland...

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Thu Apr 12 13:52:19 EDT 2001

>  > Heh Philip, if that made you uneasy then you shouldn't look at this:
>
>Not half as uneasy as just walking around the town.  Glastonbury,
>that is.  That
>place has a really opressively occult atmosphere.

Oh dear, I really don't want to get into a flamewar, Phillip, but I
do want to point out that some of us are in fact right at home in
that sort of "oppressively occult atmosphere." I enjoy mystical
non-Christian  sites as much as Christian sites (Westminster Abbey is
among my favorite places in England).

I'm not a devout New Ager (Quaker if you wan to know), but a lot of
my friends are, and I have floated around the fringes of
Neopagan/Wiccan circles for a while...heck, Morris dancers spend a
lot of time being asked suspicious questions even when we ARE devout
Christians --- even clergy. Last Midwest Ale we had a whole picnic
party praying for our immortal souls in rural Minnesota, because they
thought we must be some sort of pagan ritual. Didn't seem to help
when we explained we just do this for fun. In any case, I can report
it has just as many cranks (no more no less) as the Church in all its
variety. In both cases, though, it is the Jerry Falwells and Aleister
Crowleys who stick out.

And I think Glastonbury IS a bit over the top, but I enjoyed hanging
out there for a day last time I was in the area ('97 I think, on a
Morris tour, of course). And I think the Abbey grounds especially are
wonderful.

Just a request we be mindful whose mindset we "diss" here. They don't
burn witches or martyr Christians in most of the world anymore, but
both are still pretty sore memories. Care is adviseable...

/soapbox

Nat