Strange Charmed life reaction

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Apr 10 19:41:02 EDT 2001

> Hallie:
> |Now I'm really confused!  I couldn't think of two British B words
> |which were perfectly acceptable in the US to start off with, and now
> |that Ven's pointed out the two missing ones, I don't even know what
> |the two were, acceptable or otherwise.  Bloody obviously is one of
> |them - but what's the second/fourth?

Jennifer:
> <Puts hands over Becca and Cara's eyes> I'd assumed it was "bollocks",
> although we do say "balls" too. It's quite interesting how many words for
> male genitals there are that are only a bit rude, and can be used as a
> friendly insult, whereas there are only a couple for female genitals and
> they are *bad* words.

Oops, I forgot those two, the one I meant was "bastard", which so
long as its not being used in the literal sense of illegitemate, is
pretty mild these days. A few years ago a Tory used this word to
lambast his Labour opponent, by referring to her three children (all
the product of the same, ongoing, unmarried, relationship) as her
"bastards". What support he had crumbled completely, I guess
he'd forgotten how many of "his" voters' grandchildren he was
insulting by proxy

I picked up "terrible" bad language when working as an
archaeologist. It has gone down over the years but when I was
building a brick terrace in my garden and had to dig a deep hole it
all came back to me. There's definitely something about labouring
that brings it on.

.
                                           Ven.