Strange charmed life reaction

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Apr 10 18:17:21 EDT 2001

Jennifer:

><Puts hands over Becca and Cara's eyes> I'd assumed it was "bollocks",
>although we do say "balls" too.

Right!  I'd just never heard that one in the States at all, so didn't
connect it.  Heard it plenty here of course.

>It's quite interesting how many words for
>male genitals there are that are only a bit rude, and can be used as a
>friendly insult, whereas there are only a couple for female genitals and
>they are *bad* words.
>I'm trying to wean myself off really rude words as an everyday,
>stubbed-my-toe sort of thing in order to save them for when it's really
>necessary, like when Michael Portillo comes on the telly. I think "Arse!" a
>la Father Jack or the Fast Show sketch is quite useful (it can be both noun
>and verb, like f***).

:)

When we moved to Ireland, our language was really clean as could be.
Becca wasn't allowed to say "bloody", but invented "bloodibloomin"
(one word and different spelling, according to Becca).  I gave her
full credit for inventiveness, and only asked that she not use it in
front of teachers or older relatives.  My mother and I became quite
fond of bloodibloomin'.  Nice mouth sound or something.

Hallie.