Strange Charmed Life Reaction and bad language

M Elizabeth Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Mon Apr 9 22:53:56 EDT 2001

Curiously, my (20 year old) son doesn't swear in my hearing.  In fact, he
has *never* let fly near me, even when he put a fishhook through his thumb
at the age of 14. My (17 y-o) daughter is another story :-(  Since James
undoubtedly has a normal vocab when *away* from my orbit, I suppose one
might say he is being two-faced? Only of course I prefer to think he's
just
being kind...

Sallyo.

me:

well, I'll be twenty very soon (two weeks!  yahoo!  Does anyone else find
it amusing that I'll be spending next year abroad in the UK--spending my
twenty-first birthday in a country where the legal drinking age is
eighteen?) and I don't swear around my parents, either.  Only on very very
infrequent occasions, that is. . . it just doesn't seem right.  I don't
swear very much in general--just when I really feel upset or want to get a
point across.  I tend to say things like "darndedoodles" that are
half-joking instead. . . or to curse in Japanese.  There are some lovely
Japanese insults that one can pick up after watching only a small bit of
anime, and the best part is, my little brother has no idea what I'm
calling him. . . :^).

But then again I've always been rather--sheltered isn't quite the word,
because it's not something my parents forced upon me--I guess you could
say that I was reserved, which led to me sheltering myself.  So there are
words I just don't know, which has led to some interesting situations over
the years.  For example, the time a boy I had quite a crush on talked
about riding the white stallion--I asked if it was another series by
Walter Farley (of Black Stallion fame).  Turns out it was a euphemism for
cocaine. . . . that's one of my tamer anecdotes.

So may I ask. . . what does fanny mean in the non-US sense of the word?

Lizzie