Strange Charmed Life Reaction and bad language

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Mon Apr 9 14:01:34 EDT 2001

>Heh. Hence why we are told, when traveling in the UK, to refer to the
>tourist's stereotypical carrying device as a "belt pack" instead of the
>American term...

We call 'em "bum-bags" ... or "belt-bags" if we're mealy-mouthed.

As for swearing, I try not to. I tend to say "Sugar!" a lot!

My father, who was a notable swearer-at-cows-and-dogs (on the grounds that
they didn't suffer if he swore but would if he kicked them) used to amuse
the minister by giving Vent across the paddocks at 8 a.m. on Sundays. By 9,
he'd be rolling up at church as if butter wouldn't melt...

One of Father's habits was to moderate the lingo when he was in my sister's
and my company. If he burned his fingers on a hot plate, he'd say: "Ooh
p**p! Ooh p**p!" but my favourite was "Jam and butter the muddy bucket of
pitch!" tossed out at full throttle.

Curiously, my (20 year old) son doesn't swear in my hearing.  In fact, he
has *never* let fly near me, even when he put a fishhook through his thumb
at the age of 14. My (17 y-o) daughter is another story :-(  Since James
undoubtedly has a normal vocab when *away* from my orbit, I suppose one
might say he is being two-faced? Only of course I prefer to think he's just
being kind...

Sallyo.