stammering

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Mon Apr 9 13:46:38 EDT 2001

Over the weekend I heard an "on-the-line" talk on National Public
Radio with Martin Kaste, who is the NPR's reporter in South America.
He's normally a very clearly-spoken reporter (I've been following him
as he was in the same class at Carleton as Ingrid), but in the
off-the-cuff discussion it was clear he had a hesitation speech
impediment. No real stammer, but repeated words and occasional...
pauses. I found it very heartening that a radio reporter could get so
far with a speech impediment, and I think it confirms how powerful
reading from a script can be as a de-impedimentizer