Strange Charmed Life Reaction

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Sun Apr 8 11:47:03 EDT 2001

>It's very hard for a non native speaker to try and not offend.

I wouldn't worry, Bettina; even speakers of different brands of English
(Oz-Eng, US-Eng and Brit-Eng etc) sometimes tread on toes by accident.
Vulgar is as vulgar does, and we all have our own take on it. For some
reason I find the Brit-Eng vulgarisms much less offensive than the US
variety... but Oz has the habit of using some very off-colour terms as
affectionate nicknames which must stop a few folk in their linguistic
tracks!

Sallyo.