Urban fantasy(was Charles DeLint (OT))

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Sun Apr 8 11:37:32 EDT 2001

I found it interesting to read about the connotations of "urban" as I have
encountered this word in different contexts, but with positive connotations:

In a text about a scientific book, a praise of this book in fact, about the author's
style: she writes "urban prose".  I have to confess I thought that was funny, because
I imagined there would have to be "rural prose" as well, and what that would be
like...

And (in German, where the word urban is rather uncommon, but understandable) a
politician was characterised as "urban woman".

I somehow believe urban is "posh" for "cool" in these sentences...

Bettina
who'd quite like to be a urban woman writing urban prose... :-)