Sabriel

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Apr 7 16:01:11 EDT 2001

>On Thu, 05 Apr 2001 16:39:13 -0400, Erin McMullin wrote:
>>
>>ummm... I didn't like Sabriel much... Felt very flat to me, and not very
>>well thought out.  Can't remember why exactly right now, because I read it
>>over a year ago (I picked it up because of the cover art - ahh... you must
>>be learning that cover art is what gets me to pick up a book, even though I
>>KNOW there are many good books with bad art, bad books with good art, out
>>there.  Can't help it, drawn by the pictures /lol/)
>>
>>Can anyone convince me to give it another try?
>
>Well, um, WE all really liked it...good enough?  No?  :)

It was pretty close to good enough for me already.   Like Anita, I
didn't like it enough to finish it.  I'd give it a second try just on
hopes of being part of Melissa's "we". :)

>For my part, I liked the ambiance more than any other part of the story; in
>fact, I can't remember what I *liked* about the story other than the general
>mood of it.  So we're actually in the same boat, if at opposite ends.

But this helps even more - I may just not have been in the mood for
the mood the time I tried it.  Although Becca read it after my
attempt it and didn't like it AT ALL, and we agree about books to an
extraordinary degree.  No brain-washing involved, BTW.  In either
direction!

I have omitted Becca's *actual* comments in the interests of list harmony.

Hallie.